KeenWrite is my free and open-source cross-platform desktop text editor that allows users to write pose using variables defined in a separate file. A few highlights:
- Uses flexmark-java to render Markdown as HTML.
- Extends flexmark-java to support Pandoc’s
:::fenced div syntax.
- Supports plain text diagrams via Kroki.
- Computes statistics (word count, word frequencies).
- Performs real-time spell checking.
- Integrates the R programming language.
- Includes a subset of TeX for math.
- Exports to XHTML with TeX as either SVG or inline markup.
- Exports to PDF using the ConTeXt typesetting software and a variety of starter themes.
- Converts straight quotes to curly quotes using KeenQuotes, automagically.
The editor can replace all the scripts and software described in my Typesetting Markdown series.