In-line line breaks

I’ve found a case where the default line-break functionality isn’t sufficient. According to the spec (@ http://spec.commonmark.org/0.12/#hard-line-breaks), in order to generate a line break (<br />), you need to either:

• add two spaces followed by a line ending character, -OR-
  • enter a backslash + line ending character.

There are legitimate cases where one would need to generate line breaks IN-LINE without the need to enter a line ending character. Given a token, say somelthing like \^, the following text:

line one\^line two

would render as:

line one<br />line two

Thoughts?

Why? Do browsers ever care about the difference between

a<br />b

and

a</br />
b

No, those two code snippets would render the same obviously.

Suppose you have a site that supports localization of n number of languages languages. The localization key/value pair strings are stored in files where typically one line is one record:

resources.en-us.json file:

{
    key1: "english one",
    key2: "english two"
}

resources.es-la.json file:

{
    key1: "español uno",
    key2: "español dos"
}

Now suppose I want the flexibility to specify line breaks on the UI in between the language and the word that follows - without the need of manually marking that up in html. I would like to maintain the consistency of the resource file format of one-line-per-record and explicitly specify the line break in-line, rather than implicitly inferring when encountering [2 space + line ending] or [backslash + line ending]. The resource key/value might look like:

key1: "english\^one",

etc… Retrieving that resource string and passing it through the Commonmark parser would result in:

english<br />one

Does that help?

This use case doesn’t seem to be compelling enough to justify adding another bit of syntactic complexity. After all, if you’re running the CommonMark parser on strings you extract from a json structure, you could just as easily do your own preprocessing, converting \^ to <br />, for example, before running the parser on it. Or you can just insert a raw <br />. This is perfectly valid CommonMark: abc<br />def.

Ok - thanks for entertaining the idea anyway! :wink: