Difficult on understanding Laziness

Laziness, As one of the features of Block Quote, I can’t understand it well. Because the description is so f–king difficult.

They said,

• Laziness. If a string of lines Ls constitute a block quote with contents Bs, then the result of deleting the initial block quote marker from one or more lines in which the next non-whitespace character after the block quote marker is paragraph continuation text is a block quote with Bs as its content. …

is Anybody here who can explain what this sentence mean? I tried over minutes and hours, but have no idea. it’s just look like spaghetti code which sometimes I made. I can feel what laziness is by examples but I need clear definition for parsing implementation.

ps - I’m really sorry for your effort but I think we need to make this clean to make people understand well. you know, simple is best, right?

1 Like

In addition, What is the goal or purpose for Laziness of block quotes?
I cannot feel any necessary about laziness, but I think there are any reason why it’s on spec. Could you share it for me?

0 Likes

I found relative topic, Spec section 5.1: Ref-impl bug and/or unclear spec?

But I couldn’t find acceptable reason for using Laziness rule. I mean, I feel this rule is strange, not clear, unintelligible… but only for laziness of writer? omg…

That laziness, anyway, only works for a paragraph, that mean, on the other blocks, it always needs a front block quote marker.
Too much complexity for little convenience, isn’t it?
And this mean that writer’s experiences of Block Quote are different between paragraph and other block types. I think unified experience is very important for editing.

So, I totally disagree with this rule, but really I want to know about other perspectives.

0 Likes

I believe these decisions were made in the first version of Markdown, when it was being created by Gruber and Swartz.

0 Likes

That’s right, this has been in Markdown from the beginning.

It does cause lots of difficulties in writing a clear spec. But if you want an informal (and vaguer) description of laziness, see John Gruber’s original Markdown syntax documentation.

1 Like