Anchors in markdown

It would be nice to see progress with autogenerated ancors, but with security considerations in mind.

As i explained earlier, it’s not safe to generate ID-s/name-s without prefixes (when value can become equal to window.<anything> in browser). And it would be very inconvenient for developers if such problem will be ignored in spec.

Perhaps the spec could include a default prefix, e.g. # My Header {#id-of-header} becomes <h1 id="commonmark-id-of-header">My Header</h1>.

That’s completely different thing. Manual direct access to id/classes/attrs manipulation is unsafe almost as html use. And it should be disabled for unsafe input if you don’t wish to use sanitizers.

Here i speak only about autogenerated header ids, this use case is specific.

If my point about scopes is right, then this is the responsibility of the embedding scope to address.

Very similar question: Feature request: automatically generated ids for headers

That’s moving problem from one place to another (and more difficult) instead of resolution.

But as I explained in my above linked comment, it’s moving the problem to the right place. For example, pre-HTML5, there should only be one H1 on a page. But the Markdown spec, which I believe we all agree should be portable and not tightly coupled to HTML, doesn’t and shouldn’t concern itself with possible collisions between a level one Markdown heading and an H1 in the embedding context. It’s the responsibility of the embedding context (e.g. this discourse page) to demote the Markdown headings if it wanted to implement the “only one H1” rule. It’s actually far more complex to try and solve this problem for every possible downstream context, both those that exist and ones that haven’t been invented yet. It’s far more complex to solve it in the wrong place.

That’s subjective personal opinion. From my point of view, this place is not right :). Because implementation will be much more difficult. At least, from your posts, i don’t see that you are familiar with implementations and know easy way to sanitize inputs.

Hi,

Is this working?

I can only say that from a users point of view this is generating a smorgasboard of dialects when just adding a piece of text like {#get-back-here} would be sufficient.