CommonMark to/from anything

The newly released pandoc 1.14 now reads and writes CommonMark! (Use --to commonmark or --from commonmark).

So you can convert from CommonMark to several different variants of Markdown, reStructuredText, XHTML, HTML 5, LaTeX, ConTeXt, DocBook, OPML, OpenDocument, ODT, Word docx, RTF, MediaWiki, DokuWiki, Textile, groff man pages, plain text, Emacs Org-Mode, AsciiDoc, Haddock markup, EPUB (v2 and v3), FictionBook2, InDesign ICML, and beamer, slidy, dzslides, S5, or reveal.js slide shows.

You can also convert to CommonMark from reStructuredText, Textile, HTML, DocBook, LaTeX, MediaWiki markup, TWiki markup, OPML, Emacs Org-Mode, Txt2Tags, Microsoft Word docx, EPUB, Haddock markup, or other Markdown variants.

Pandoc’s default markdown is still its own fairly full-featured variant. Making its core CommonMark-compliant is on the TODO list.

8 Likes

The conversion to groff manpage uses specific extensions? (I’m interested since I’d like to convert a large corpus of texinfo and I’d like to keep the output as good or better)

Is there a windows version? The current release page only has osx and Linux packages.

+++ lu_zero [May 28 15 18:36 ]:

The conversion to groff manpage uses specific extensions? (I’m interested since I’d like to convert a large corpus of texinfo and I’d like to keep the output as good or better)

Just try it, and see how it does. Generally pandoc does well on the
structure that is common to Markdown, but anything very texinfo-specific
may get converted in a lossy way.

+++ Mike_Ward [May 28 15 22:09 ]:

Is there a windows version? The current release page only has osx and Linux packages.

Yes, there is. I found a problem with the Windows build soon after
release, so I pulled the msi, but I’ll have a new fixed version (1.14.0.1)
out tonight, so check again in a little while.

+++ jgm [May 29 15 04:15 ]:

+++ Mike_Ward [May 28 15 22:09 ]:

Yes, there is. I found a problem with the Windows build soon after
release, so I pulled the msi, but I’ll have a new fixed version (1.14.0.1)
out tonight, so check again in a little while.

It’s there now:

1 Like

Downloaded. Thanks…