Can math formula added to the markdown

Can greek letter, math formulation spec added to commonMark

2 Likes

You can use Unicode for Greek letters or HTML (named) character references (vulgo “entities”) like α.

Inline formulas and block equations would be the domain of a future math extension, building upon existing conventions.

1 Like

There have been previous discussions:

Math extensions are widely implemented, but there is unfortunately no consensus on the syntax. If you want to discuss, let’s continue one of the above threads.

2 Likes

Not directing this to you, it’s more of a reminder to us all (or the board admins): maybe it would make sense, to merge these threads or to restart discussion in one, and only one thread per feature / extension :wink:

I’m following up on this thread merely because it is the most recent one.

https://github.com/yzhang-gh/vscode-markdown is providing very nice support of math using the $. It doesn’t support $$ (display mode).

Yes, just a few days ago, the development version was compatible with GitLab Flavored MarkDown by supporting Markdown+Math.

You can now use vscode to edit locally and view it in the GitLab repository. The only flaw I found is that for performance reasons, GitLab truncates after rendering a thousand characters contained in mathematical formulas on the mobile end.

I very much hope to see GitHub follow up.

3 Likes