Can link label be empty?

From what I can tell, the language for link labels specifies a maximum number of characters (999), but not a minimum. Thus, it seems an empty link label should technically be allowed. The reference implementation does not interpret [] as a link label. In particular, this is rendered as plain text:

[]: /dest

This seems reasonable behavior to me. Otherwise, at least one of the problems would be that [link][] would be ambiguous. But I think this could perhaps be spelled out in the spec.

1 Like

+++ raph [May 01 15 17:00 ]:

From what I can tell, the language for link labels specifies a maximum number of characters (999), but not a minimum. Thus, it seems an empty link label should technically be allowed. The reference implementation does not interpret [] as a link label. In particular, this is rendered as plain text:

: /dest

This seems reasonable behavior to me. Otherwise, at least one of the problems would be that [link][] would be ambiguous. But I think this could perhaps be spelled out in the spec.

Yes, agreed, it should be explicit in the spec that a link label must contain at least one non-whitespace character. Can you open an issue for that on the tracker?

1 Like

Did this get resolved? If so I can close this?

Yes, it was resolved in 0.20, as changelog reveals.